MLBPA’s Meyer ‘passionate’ in backing player rights

MLBPA's Meyer 'passionate' in backing player rights

PHOENIX — New MLBPA interim executive director Bruce Meyer said he had mixed feelings about taking over as the union’s No. 1 decision-maker after former executive director Tony Clark resigned earlier this week.

«I’m obviously not happy with the circumstances that led up to it,» Meyer said Thursday in his first comments since being elevated. «I feel for Tony as we all do. None of us expected this, and can’t say that anybody is celebrating anything at this point, but I’ve been representing players in all the unions for almost exactly 40 years. So I’ve dedicated my career to protecting and advancing player rights, and it’s something I’ve always been passionate about.»

Previously the union’s deputy executive director, Meyer, 58, was elected interim executive director by unanimous vote in a conference call with player reps Wednesday night after Clark resigned following an internal investigation that revealed an inappropriate relationship with a union employee. Meyer takes over at a crucial time for the union, just weeks from beginning negotiations with the league on a new collective bargaining agreement. The current one expires in December.

Meyer was asked if anyone from the league office reached out to him after the vote Wednesday.

Chicago Cubs player rep Nico Hoerner said.

Meyer admitted disagreements among players, agents and union leadership are bound to appear as negotiations heat up, but he’s hopeful they’ll stay in-house. He pushed back on one label — that his concerns for players reside mostly with the highest-paid ones, especially those represented by agent Scott Boras.

«I almost don’t want to dignify it,» Meyer said. «Scott is an agent, represents a lot of players. He has no more influence over the running of the union than any other agent. And the continuous suggestions to the contrary, which I believe are mostly originated by the league, are really just an attempt at divisiveness.»

Meyer’s interim status will remain in effect until after a new CBA is negotiated. After that, the players will decide if they want to keep him on as executive director.

«I think the expectation is that we will get through bargaining with the current structure. At that point, it’s completely up to the players,» Meyer said. «If the players want to do a search, a wider search, if they want to have somebody from in-house … they’re going to have complete freedom to do that when we’re done with bargaining.»

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *