
DUNEDIN, Fla. — Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was the last person to leave the Toronto dugout after the Game 7 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series last fall because the star slugger wanted that to be the moment when he moved on.
The first full workout for the Blue Jays at spring training Monday brought some clarity to that plan.
«When I left, I felt like I had faced reality, and the only thing I had left to say to myself was just thank God for the year I had, for the year the team had had,» Guerrero said through an interpreter. «Right then, I just turned the page.»
The Blue Jays lost the decisive game 5-4 in 11 innings, missing on a second consecutive chance to clinch the franchise’s third championship at home. For manager John Schneider, this spring training is no different from a year ago.
Bo Bichette left the team, signing a $126 million, three-year with the New York Mets and moving from shortstop to third base.
«It’s difficult not having him around,» said Guerrero, who played with Bichette through the minor leagues. «I mean, we played 10 years together. But at the same time, I understand it’s business, and he has to take care of his family as well.»
The Blue Jays signed Japanese infielder Kazuma Okamoto to fill the void left by Bichette while adding pitchers Dylan Cease and Cody Ponce.
«I think we’re very capable,» Guerrero said. «I think it’s going to be more fun, and I’m actually more happy than last year.»









